In 1955, a committee of concerned citizens, many of whom were very prominent people in South Australia, was established to save the colonial home of the explorer Captain Charles Sturt and to preserve it for future generations. The newly formed National Trust of South Australia lent its weight to the effort and generated public support to save the Grange.
Pioneers Day held on Sturt’s birthday 28th April 1961. Amongst the guests were George Cummins Morphett, Kenneth Milne, Audrey Morphett and Mrs M.B. White.
In 1960 The Charles Sturt Memorial Museum Trust was formed and incorporated to restore Sturt’s home to its former glory. The Board was tasked with raising the funds to carry out the restoration work, they were ably supported in this venture by the then Premier of South Australia, The Honourable Sir Thomas Playford KCMG MP and a number of leading business men.