Restoration of the Grange
In February 1956, the Corporation of Henley and Grange purchased the property fearing it would be demolished. The major issue for Council was the manner of the restoration and how it was to be funded.
In 1960 a public appeal in South Australia was launched to fund the restoration of the historic residence of Captain Charles Sturt. This project was led by the highly regarded South Australian architect Frank Kenneth Milne (1885-1980). Milne was appointed to oversee the fundraising and the planned restoration of The Grange.
David Sturt-Bray, a descendant of the Sturt Family and member of the Charles Sturt Memorial Museum Trust played a major role in garnering support for the philanthropic cause from influential civic and business figures, politicians and the Sturt family in England.
September 1961 saw construction begin on the dilapidated former Nursery Wing in order to house caretakers. M.L.W. Green of Flinders Park was tasked to build the cottage at a cost of £3,080, with construction starting in April 1962. Frederick Charles Seewitz was employed to supply and install the slate roof and then Mr and Mrs Doig and their four children, recently arrived from England, became the first caretakers to reside in The Grange.